Author Topic: John  (Read 420 times)

Offline Myrto

• Earned Your Stripes
    • View Profile
John
« on: September 02, 2016, 03:59:01 AM »
So I came across this quora question recently that said, "Who are some people historically seen as heroes who were horrible people in reality?". One person answered, "John Lennon, one of the finest songwriters of the 20th century and wrote the book on modern rock stars. He's often seen as a man of peace and certainly used his position to promote unity, and equality, writing songs about female subjection and refusing to play gigs with a colour bar. But in his private life he was a bully, a wife beater, viciously unpleasant to and about the other Beatles and Epstein and seemingly incapable of keeping a faithful relationship. I'm a great fan of his work but not a nice human."
While this is a bit harsh, I think it is quite true that John could be unpleasant to others and he wasn't at all faithful to Cynthia (in fact he didn't treat her or Julian as he should have), but do you think he was a wife beater? I remember he did hit Cynthia once while they were dated (he was jealous of her speaking/supposedly flirting with Stuart Sutcliffe, if I remember correctly), but according to Cynthia it never happened again. Do you remember any other occasions?

Offline Greg

• Silver Beetle
    • View Profile
Re: John
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 05:20:22 PM »
I also think that summation does not represent John as a whole and does not accurately portray who he was.

I dont look at Geo Washington as "that inhumane slave-owning monster".

I think the topic of Johns personal life is just an endless argument.

Having said that...yes, in his teens he dated a girl and hit her once.  I forgot what happened, but she said it never happened again.

So it's been documented that he hit a woman twice in 40 years.  That's terrible I know but does not deserve a label as "wife-beater".  I know someone who slept with a woman one time while married.  I do not label him a philanderer.

Offline Myrto

• Earned Your Stripes
    • View Profile
Re: John
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:04:08 AM »
Glad to see you agree with me. When I hear "wife-beater" I think of someone who abuses his wife regularly, not someone who hit a girl once or twice in his life. Not that that is justified, it's terrible, as you said, but not enough to earn him the term "wife-beater".

Please Send E-Mail
To
   Email   

Messages From The Wall is a creation of
The Beatles On Abbey Road
The Beatles On Abbey Road
Return To Main Page

web counter